Friday, June 20, 2014

The Walking Dead

"That's the third time you are pointing that thing in my face. You gonna pull the trigger or what?"

So I had planned to write this post so much earlier than it is being written, but life kind of got in the way as well as school work. Plus, the show I am writing about this time around is a show I had just started when I planned to talk about it but now I am almost through the fourth season so my opinionated self has a lot to say. For this post I am going to be talking about The Walking Dead, so spoilers ahead.

First, I really, really like this show. One of the most important things that I like about it is that despite the fact that it is a show about a zombie apocalypse, there are still a lot of aspects that are true to reality. First of all, they aren't any easy beheadings. TV shows today make it look like beheading someone is so easy that it could be an accident if the knife was short enough. Truth is, it take a lot to hack off a head or a limb (both events happened to the same person, Hershel). Also, once someone is death on this show, they stay dead (except Lori, but I'll get to that later). No one miraculously comes back to life or heals which really adds to the suspense of the show. When you are watching you know, if someone gets bit or scratched, there is no coming back, so you spend the whole time worried that the character might die.

And then there's the drama. So lets start with the most obvious Drama, the Lori, Rick, Shane love triangle. First of all... I am not happy with the way that the show treated Shane. I feel like every single time there is a love triangle/affair it is never representative of the reality of what it is like for people who are in an affair. I had a best friend who fell in love with a married man. At first I didn't know what to think because I had known her since I was five years old and I had never expected that from her. She wasn't a bad person, and neither was he, and neither was his wife. They were all just in a bad situation. But on TV, there is always a bad guy, even in situations where there really in no bad guy. In the first season (only 6 episodes) it was representative, but starting in the second season they started to make Shane into a crazy person which killed me. I was much more in tune with his character than the Rick character and I felt bad for him. He was completely loyal to Rick when he found out he was still alive and then he out of nowhere goes crazy for a few episodes and tries to kill Rick? I just didn't like it nor did I find it believable.

Then there is the issue of Lori being a bad mother. That was the only thing that I knew about this show when I first started watching, and I have to say.... I AGREE!

adult supervision? nah it's just a zombie apocalypse  Carl Grimes Walking Dead

In every single episode you see Lori asking someone else to watch Carl, or if she is watching Carl he is running around outside the house aimlessly. First, he steals a gun from Daryl's motorcycle. Where is Lori? Probably in the house doing laundry. Then he is throwing stones at a Walker (zombie) antagonizing it to chase after him, then it later kills a member of the group, Dale. Where is Lori? Again, no one knows, but not with Carl. Then when the walkers are swarming the farm and they have to leave, out comes Lori yelling, "WHERE'S CARL?" to which everyone watching responds with, "WHY DO YOU NOT KNOW???!" It's a zombie apocalypse! If I had a kid,  I would never let them leave my side.

Last thing I am going to discuss for this post is what everyone is obsessed with: Daryl Dixon. When I first started watching the show I was determined not to like him, because he was everyone's favorite. So I went in thinking, "I am NOT going to like this guy" and guess what? I fell in love. His childhood consisted of being beaten by his father (so much so that he still has multiple thick scars on his back) who has a heart of gold, but no way to express it. He was never shown any affection (as far as is noted in the show) until his short time with Beth. Beth is a complete and utter sweetheart and he is able to really be kind with her for a brief moment before she was kidnapped. There was also his relationship with Carol, but it was not quite the same level of affection. While this show is slow at time, I think is definitely worth the watch. I will definitely watch when it comes back on  in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment